Thursday, May 26, 2011

One-size Pocket Fitted Diaper Tutorial

Here's my first attempt at a sewing photo tutorial!  I found this free pattern for a one-size fitted pocket diaper at Little Bean Bum's blog.  She has photo instructions there too, but I changed a few things, so I thought I would show you what I did!  This is a great pattern.  Easy and quick to make, and it fits my one-year-old very well.  The fact that you stuff it in the front makes it much easier to sew, and I love that you can use just about anything stuffed in the pocket!  I bought a big bag of microfiber towels in the automotive department of our local Meijer store for really cheap.  One of them works ok for shorter period, but I would recommend using 2 for naps or overnight.  If you have any questions or suggestions, please leave a comment.  Alright...here we go!

Cut out the pattern according to Little Bean Bum's measurements.  I did make the narrowest section in the middle a little slimmer after my first trial run.  A full sheet of newspaper works great.

Trace pattern onto fabric and cut out.  I used terrycloth for the outer layer and Alova suedecloth for the inner layer (both from JoAnn's)

Pin pieces right sides together, using a few extras around the wings to keep them matched up just right.

Stitch all the way around using 3/8" seam allowance...

...but leave the front open!!

Sew in elastic right on your seams.  Little Bean Bums' tutorial shows to make a casing for the back elastic, but that sounded like a lot of work to me, so I did the back elastic just like the sides.  I stretched the side elastic starting about 3" from the front of the diaper all the way to about 1 1/2" from the wings.  To sew elastic, lay it on the wrong side of the inner layer where you want it to start.  Stitch back and forth a few times, then switch to a medium zigzag stitch.  With the needle in the fabric, pull elastic tight and begin stitching.  Continue stretching the elastic as you go, stopping to readjust as needed.  When you reach the point where you want your elastic to end, switch back to a straight stitch and go back a forth a few times to lock in your stitches.  Cut the elastic off close to your stitching.  This sounds complicated at first, but it doesn't take long to get the hang of it!

Trim seam allowances all the way around the diaper.  Hem the front opening with a zigzag stitch (but don't sew it shut!)  

Turn the diaper right side out and push the wings all the way out...I like to use a pen tip with the pen not out.  Topstitch all the way around (again, don't stitch the front closed!) about 1/4" from the edges.  When you reach the sections with elastic, make sure to widen your allowance to about 1/2" so as not to stitch over the elastic.  When topstitching the elastic portion, stretch the diaper out tight.

All done!  Here it is on my 12 month old, secured with a safety pin.  This diaper will require a cover, of course:-)  Snappis also work great since the outside is terry.  You can adjust the size by simply tucking the front pocket of the diaper into itself.  Enjoy, and happy sewing!

No comments:

Post a Comment